Lentil, Leek, Pumpkin & Goats Cheese Strudel
4 | servings
Intermediate | 35 minutes
A delicious combination of lentils, leek and pumpkin, pair perfectly with tasty goats cheese and flakey pastry! This vegetarian strudel is the perfect go-to dish for a healthy dinner or lunch. It's also a great way to get kids to eat their vegetables - I mean who can resist cheesy strudel!
🌱 = Get It From The Source
1 cups French Green Lentils (put in saucepan with 2 cups water, bay leaf and salt, bring to boil, gently simmer for 20-30mins then drain) 🌱
1.2kg butternut pumpkin, deseeded, peeled, cut into 2.5cm pieces
Olive oil spray
1 tbs olive oil 🌱
3 leeks, trimmed, washed, thinly sliced
6 sheets filo pastry
50g butter, melted
1 x 120g pkt goat's cheese or one Meredith Valley jar, crumbled
1/2 tsp cumin seeds 🌱
Rocket and lettuce leaves, to serve
This recipe is from Taste.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Scatter the pumpkin over the tray and spray with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Bake in oven for 40 minutes or until soft.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the leek and cook, stirring often, for 20 minutes or until soft and slightly golden. Remove from heat.
- Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Place the filo on a clean work surface. Cover with a clean tea towel and then a damp tea towel (this will help prevent it drying out). Place 1 sheet of filo on the work surface and brush with a little butter. Top with another sheet of filo and brush with butter. Continue to layer with the remaining filo and butter. Cut the filo stack in half lengthways.
- Spread the leek mixture over 1 filo stack, leaving a 2cm border along the sides and a 4cm border at each end. Place the pumpkin on top of the leek and scatter with the goat's cheese. Brush the filo edges with butter and place the remaining filo stack on top. Press firmly to cover and enclose the filling. Fold in the edges to secure.
- Transfer the strudel to the lined tray. Use a sharp knife to score the pastry across the top at regular intervals. Brush the top with any remaining butter and sprinkle with cumin seeds. Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden and crisp. Serve immediately with rocket & other salad leaves.