Vegan Mince Pies
18 | mince pies
Intermediate | 1 hour 15 minutes
It’s not Christmas without mince pies. This recipe makes a dozen and a half gently spiced jammy minced pies with a no fuse easy to make vegan pastry!
🌱 = Get It From The Source
For the pastry
350g organic unbleached flour 🌱
Pinch fine Himalayan sea salt 🌱
2 Tbsps. organic raw sugar 🌱
150g non-dairy margarine
2-3 Tbsps. cold water
For the mince pie filling
60g raw organic coconut oil 🌱
1 tsp. ground cinnamon 🌱
1 tsp. mixed spice 🌱
Generous pinch ground nutmeg 🌱
1 Tbsp. brandy, optional
75g organic raisins 🌱
75g organic currants 🌱
60g mixed peel
75g organic sultanas 🌱
1 brambly apple, grated
30g blanched almond meal 🌱
100g organic coconut sugar 🌱
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
Zest and juice of 1 clementine
1 vanilla pod, deseeded 🌱
Plant-based milk for brushing 🌱
Icing sugar to dust 🌱
- Start by making the pastry. Place the flour, salt and sugar into a food processor, and pulse briefly to combine. Add the margarine to the flour and pulse until the mixture roughly resembles bread crumbs. Transfer the flour and butter mix to a bowl and add one Tbsp. of water at a time, briefly mixing between each addition of water until a dough forms. Cover and rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- To make the filling add the coconut oil to a large pot on medium heat. Once the coconut oil has melted, add the cinnamon, mixed spice and nutmeg and gently warm for 1 minute. Add the brandy and cook for another minute.
- To the pot, add the remaining ingredients for the mince pie filling. Stir well, and bring the mixture to a gentle simmer for 10 minutes. Once all the sugar has dissolved and, the filling is jammy, remove from the heat.
- Transfer the filling to a heatproof bowl and set to one side to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Lightly grease and flour two shallow cupcake trays.
- Divide the pastry in half. Dust a clean work surface with flour and roll the first pastry half into a large round, 2-3mm thick. Use an 8cm round fluted cookie cutter to cut out 18 rounds of pastry for the bottoms. Repeat with the second pastry half and use a 6cm round fluted cookie cutter to cut out 18 rounds of pastry for the tops.
- Assemble the mince pies by placing the 8cm pastry rounds into the cupcake tray and gently shaping to the base of the tray. Place 1 Tbsp. of filling into the pastry and top with a 6cm round. Brush the pastry tops with non-dairy milk and bake for 15-20minutes or until golden.
- Transfer the pies to a cooling rack and dust with icing sugar to serve.