Join Us On The Plastic Free July Challenge
For the sake of our Earth, our health and the creatures that live in our oceans and waterways, our addiction to single–use plastic has to end. All of the plastic bags, bottles, straws, cups, packaging and takeaway containers that we use for just a few minutes and then throw away are creating an environmental disaster for our planet, especially in our oceans. Scientists predict that there will be more tonnes of plastic than tonnes of fish in our oceans by 2050.
SINGLE-USE PLASTIC FACTS:
- Plastic is around forever – every piece of plastic ever made still exists
- In the first 10 years of this century, we produced more plastic than the entire 1900s
- Australians use more than 6 billion plastic bags a year – if tied together, they would form a chain long enough to go around the world more than 30 times.
- More than 100,000 marine mammals and up to one million seabirds are estimated to die each year from plastic ingestion or entanglement.
- Plastic can kill repeatedly – after a seabird or mammal dies from ingesting or becoming entangled in plastic, that plastic will re-enter the ocean and could entangle, or be ingested by another animal.
SAY NO TO SINGLE-USE PLASTIC
Only a small proportion of the plastic we use is recycled, and even when it is, it is often transformed into a low-grade product that is used just once and ends up in landfill. Recycling helps, but it is only a tiny part of the solution.
It’s far more effective to avoid plastic in the first place, which is why we are calling on you to join us in the Plastic Free July challenge.
The challenge is simple: refuse single-use plastic during July. Say no to:
- plastic bags
- plastic cups
- plastic cutlery
- bottled water
- produce wrapped in plastic
- products in plastic packaging
Here are some easy things you can do to get started...
- bring your own cloth bags and produce bags grocery shopping
- carry a reusable water bottle
- bring your own coffee cup
- carry reusable cutlery in your bags
WHAT ARE THE SOURCE BULK FOODS DOING?
Part of our mission at The Source Bulk Foods is to help reduce packaging and waste, which is why our stores are proudly plastic bag free. We offer paper bags, and encourage you to bring your own bottles, jars and containers to fill. We also offer solutions for waste free living including reusable water bottles, produce bags, bottle and jars, reusable food wraps and waste free lunchboxes.
JOIN THE PLASTIC FREE JULY CHALLENGE
We’re committed to eliminating single-use plastic, and we’d love for you to be too. There’s a real feeling of change in the air at the moment and together we can build on that momentum. By signing up to Plastic Free July, you’ll be taking the first step towards a single-use plastic-free future. Every little bit you can do will count. Head over to Plastic Free July to register now and let’s do this together!