One Pot Persian Chicken and Wild Rice
4-6 | people
Intermediate | 55 minutes
One pot chicken with a twist! This flavour-packed Persian Chicken is the perfect way to spice up your weeknight meals. Made with a delicious combination of dried figs, cranberries, pistachios, dill and pomegranate, this dish is packed of invigorating flavours that will leave your taste buds tingling!
🌱 = Get It From The Source
3 tbs olive oil 🌱
1 brown onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 organic cinnamon quills 🌱
10 cardamom pods 🌱
2 tsp cumin seeds 🌱
1 tsp allspice 🌱
180g organic wild rice (soaked overnight) 🌱
180g organic brown basmati rice 🌱
3 tbs chicken bone broth powder
1/2 tsp salt 🌱
Juice of 1 orange
80g organic dried figs, sliced
80g organic cranberries 🌱
1kg chicken thighs, bone in, skin on
50g pistachios, roughly chopped 🌱
Handful dill, roughly chopped
Arils from ½ pomegranate
Almond Dip (see our almond dip recipe here) 🌱
- On the day before, place the wild rice in a pot and cover with cold water. Put the lid on and place in the fridge overnight.
- On the day of serving, heat half of the olive oil in a large flameproof, heavy-based baking dish over medium heat. Briefly brown all sides of the chicken then remove and set aside on a plate. Heat the remaining oil and cook the onion and garlic until softened. Add the spices and cook for a further minute.
- Add in the rice, water, chicken bone broth powder, salt, orange juice, figs and cranberries. Place the chicken, skin side up and cover with a lid.
- Place in the oven and bake for 1 hour. Remove the lid and cook for a further 30 minutes or until rice is tender, the liquid is absorbed and chicken is turning crispy and golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- To serve, sprinkle with the pistachios, dill and pomegranate as well as dollops of the almond dip or yoghurt, if you prefer.